Frequently Asked Questions

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed when any building is sold, rented out, constructed or refurbished.

EPCs give information on a building's energy efficiency in a sliding scale from 'A' (very efficient) to 'G' (least efficient). Every EPC also has a recommendations report showing how the homeowner could improve the rating.

Only qualified, accredited domestic energy assessors and qualified, certified home inspectors can produce EPCs for domestic properties. They analyse how homes are constructed, insulated, heated and ventilated, and the type of fuel being used.

"Predicted Energy Assessments for properties sold off-plan"

Where you intend to sell a property off-plan, you must provide a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA). This is based on the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) and environmental impact ratings that are calculated at design stage.

SAP is the approved tool for calculating the energy performance of dwellings and is required by the building regulations. The environmental impact rating indicates how much carbon dioxide the property is expected to generate through its energy use.

A domestic Energy Performance Certificate for properties to be sold and let take 30-60 minutes at the property and then completed back at the office. The report is produced within 24 hours of the property being inspected.

Energy Performance certificates are valid for 10 years.

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings with a planned period of use of less than two years
  • Buildings using low amounts of energy, eg barns
  • Certain homes which are to be demolished